I apologies for the light in the photos, I cook at night as most people do & as we all know fluorescent light is not the best!
Coconut or Olive Oil
1 tsp Minced Garlic
2 Large Tomatoes
2 x 400ml Canned Diced Tomatoes
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 tsp Coconut Sugar
1 tsp Sweet Paprika
1 Cup Water
Salt & Pepper
1 Cube or 1 tsp Vegan Beef Stock*
1-2 cans of Cooked Lentils or Vegan Mince (about 200g)
Spinach Cheese Sauce
3 tbsp Vegan Margarine (I use Nutlex)
4 tbsp Wholemeal Flour
3 Cups Soy or Rice Milk
(these have a mild taste, almond is too strong)
Spinach - 4 large handfuls or more if you like!
4 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp Turemic
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tbsp Fresh Chives
1/4 Cup Fresh Parsely
2 Packs of Lasagne Sheets
Okay here's the fun part! Get ready for a lot of rambling hehe
1. Preheat oven to 200c/390f
2. Heat oil of choice in a large frying pan - medium heat. While it is heating up finely dice up your onion. Add onion & garlic to pan.
3. Finely chop up mushrooms, capsicum, zucchini, tomatoes. Once onion is translucent add to pan.
6. Once veggies have softened a little add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, coconut sugar, paprika, s&p, water & stock. Simmer on low-med heat.
5. In a seperate small frying pan cook spinach in a little water until it has wilted. Do not over cook, keep that nice bright green colour! Cut up and put aside.
7. Melt v.margarine, chives (tip - cutting fresh herbs with scissors is much easier than a knife) parsley, onion & garlic powder and s&p.
8. Once melted add flour and whisk. Cook for a few minutes (keep moving it around the pan) until you smell a yummy aroma. Do not cook for too long that it changes colour, the reason for cooking is get rid of any flour taste.
9. Slowly add milk while constantly whisking. Once mixed through add cooked spinach, turemic & nutritional yeast.Put on a low heat and cook until thickens, whisk more frequently to the end to prevent build up at the bottom of the pan. Once finished put aside ready for lasagne assembly!
10. Drain Lentils or v.mince & add to Tomato Sauce. Simmer for 5 mins.
11. Time to build your lasagne! The best order is
Spinach Cheese Sauce
and so on...
Leave a little of each sauce to mix together for your top layer!
10. Top with breadcrumbs, more nutritional yeast & vegan cheese! Wrap with tin foil/aluminium foil and cook for 30 mins covered & then 30 mins un-covered!
You can have fun with this recipe & add things like a layer of steamed potato or pumpkin. Or you can add mashed pumpkin or sweet potato to you cheese sauce!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! I would love to hear what you think if you give it a try! Leave us a comment, or if you have any questions happy to help!